Sports & GT 280ZX Build

Home Forums Sport GT Race Car Sports & GT 280ZX Build

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mario_280zx
    Participant

Hi all,

I would like tot share my race car build.

Specs:

Engine – Nissan VK45DE

Chassis – Nissan 280ZX

Gearbox – Audi Transaxle

Concept is that we only use the skin of the chassis. New chassis will be made from aluminium with a chromoly roll cage. Engine will fitted behind front wheels (semi mid-mount). Gearbox mounted in the rear. Many of the panels will be made from carbon fiber. We are trying to get the vehicle weight in at 800kg.

Stripping

Clinton Hulley
      Keymaster

Hi Mario,

This looks like a very interesting project. How long have you been busy with this project and what is your estimate time it will be running? Please post some more as the project goes on. Will be great to follow the build.

Mario_280zx
        Participant

Thanks Clinton,

We have been working on it for about 12 months but havnt done much recently as other commitments has got in the way. However from January we will be going full steam ahead again.

No real time frame to the build. However I would like to get it done next year.

Mario_280zx
          Participant

Nose cut off as we building a new chassis.

Headless

Mario_280zx
            Participant

Rest of the material stripped from the body, floor & inner panels.

b

Mario_280zx
              Participant

Body being sent off to blasting and primer.

body2

Mario_280zx
                Participant

Body is back and looking great. Little to no rust at all. Not bad for an old Datsun.

body3

Mario_280zx
                  Participant

Here is a rough floor plan of the layout of the motor, gearbox and chassis design. There will most likely be some adjustments made as we go along.

chassis

Mario_280zx
                    Participant

Here we removed the sump. Ready to start designing the dry sump setup we will be running.

Engine

Clinton Hulley
                      Keymaster

Hi Mario,

Everything looks great so far. What is your plan with the drysump on this engine? What drysump pump are you going to run? Will you be running a proper drysump pump which will have the pressure and scavenge pumps? The motor we built for the Porsche 917 had a drysump on it. We took the standard pump out of the engine and run a Moroso 3 stage pump, 1 pressure pump and 2 scavenge stages. I designed the drysump for the Porsche, and it was machined out of billet Aluminium. You may have read this post but here is the post that has some pics of the drysump https://crasyideas.com/race-car-560hp-supercharger-vk45de/

Mario_280zx
                        Participant

Thanks Clinton,

Yes we will also do 3 stage pump. Do you still have drawings for CNC company of that drysump? We were also going to do it out of billet aluminium. We have a local manufacturer that is sponsoring me a drysump pump.

Clinton Hulley
                          Keymaster

Hi Mario,

I should have the 3D CAD for the sump. I can put you in contact with a company that does CNC work here in Cape Town. They are the only company that I will supply the CAD for the Sump as I do a lot of work for them. The Company is ABR Engineering. You can speak with Harold Bannister (Cell: 083 446 0675) or email him at Harold@abrengineering.co.za to get a quote on machining the sump.

Hope this helps!

Clinton Hulley
                            Keymaster

Hi Mario,

How is your build coming along, any updates?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.